To create your own gels for skincare or to thicken liquid soaps, shower gels, creams and lotions, Ultra Gel is your solution. Ultra Gel is an all-natural, ultra pure, polysaccharide polymer, derived from an unusual strain of fungus. The addition of Ultra Gel to your formulations allows for the development of stable gels and creams that have excellent skin feel. Ultra Gel will also improve the film forming properties acting as a natural skin moisturizer and soother.
Ultra Gel (Sclerotium Gum) is one of the most stable of the natural polymers even in the presence of high heat. Products formulated with Ultra Gel (Sclerotium Gum) will maintain their viscosity. Ultra Gel (Sclerotium Gum) will thicken your products, keeping them stable against high heat, electrolytes, or any other conditions that usually challenge natural gelling agents, improving the feel of the product, the skin, and the hair, while improving natural moisture levels.
When used in formulation at low levels, of 0.5% to 2.0%, Ultra Gel (Sclerotium Gum) will increase viscosity (thickness) while maintaining good fluidity, flexibility, and pouring, properties.
Usage rates: (Courtesy of Mark Webb, Ultra Gel (Sclerotium Gum) should be used at the following levels:
- 0.2 – 0.8% tp stabilize/thicken emulsions
- 0.3 – 0.6% for sprayable solutions/suspensions
- 0.8 to 1.5% for standard, stable gels
- 0.2 to 0.8% to stabilize emulsions
- 0.5 to 1.5% added to detergents, liquid soaps to thicken
- 1.5 to 2.0% to suspend in cleansing systems
- 0.3 to 0.6% for spray-able solutions / suspensions
- 2.0 to 4.0% will form a very thick gel.
- Add to Water Phase (preferably with some heat.) Allow the material to swell and absorb water before blending. Blend with a stick blender to desired consistency. If the gel created is too thick the solution is simple: just add more of your water phase.
- Hydrate alone in separate water phase for maximum viscosity
- Hydrate at the end of water phase for emulsion stability and minimal viscosity
Remember, gels will need a preservative added to protect against fungi and bacteria growth. For best results use with pH levels between 6.0 and 12.0.
Available in a four ounce jar containing Net Weight 2.5 oz, 70 g, a 4 oz Zip Lock Bag (115 g) and an eight oz bag (225 grams)